HEAL (red, green, blue variation)
- medium Silkscreen on 2ply Rising Museum Board
- edition 3/5
- size 32.00w x 32.00h in
- created 2015
COA: This work comes with a Certificate of Authenticity from West Chelsea Contemporary.
Additional Info: Printers Proof Edition 3/5
– In his HEAL series, Indiana recasted his iconic LOVE as another four-letter word, executing it in the same typography – sans the signature tilt of one letter. This work was created in 2015, testifying to the longevity of the artist’s vision. With the LOVE series, the artist stylistically decided to tilt one letter in the word, which became a signature of the style. The structure of the four capitalized letters of HEAL negated the oppurtinty to tilt one letter in Indiana’s signature serifed style. However, the artist felt the importance of relaying the message of healing outweighed his unspoken stylistic rule.
– This variation of HEAL is the same color palette as Indiana’s most iconic LOVE prints and the artist explains “with the red, blue and green paintings the interaction in the eye is of such a nature that with the slightest change of light the fields automatically interchange, the positive becomes negative and vice versa, with almost a violent effect in the eye.”
– Robert Indiana, self-titled as the “American Painter of Signs” held a key role in the Pop Art movement since the 1960s. He was an influencer in the concept of using words in art, which has been followed by many artists following him.
– This limited-edition Indiana print was made in collaboration with master screen printer Gary Lichtenstein Editions.