A Collector’s Guide to Daniel Maltzman
Five things to know about the iconic Beverly Hills painter whose gorgeous large-scale works are favorited by Hollywood A-listers.
Works featured on offer in West Chelsea Contemporary’s new exhibition: PROVOCATEURS. MAR 13 – MAY 9
Daniel Maltzman was born in Los Angeles in 1963. Today he is known for his large-scale hyper-surrealistic and abstract paintings, and has become a highly sought after contemporary painter amongst Hollywood A-listers, athletes and collectors worldwide.
Maltzman got his start in the fashion world, and his roots are present to this day in his paintings, which draw influence from magazines, billboards, and branding imagery. He began gaining recognition for his work in the early 1990s. His beautiful and sometimes controversial work explores the idea of celebrity and what it means in our present culture as well as advertising and its effects on the world we live in.
Maltzman explores these topics with his exceptionally refined painterly skills, and uses layers upon layers of paint to create unique and beautiful paintings which are all one of a kind.
Read on below to discover five things every savvy collector should know about Daniel Maltzman.
- Maltzman’s most common medium is painting on 6×5 foot canvases, creating drippy, layered abstracts and renderings of the female form.
Maltzman’s signature drips create an enticing layer of texture on his whimsical LV Abstracts now on offer at West Chelsea Contemporary.
2. Daniel Maltzman was heavily inspired by Andy Warhol and Gerhard Richter, and you can see this influence in his foregrounds and backgrounds.
Big, sweeping brushstrokes inspired by Richter and iconic imagery culled from pop culture a la Warhol combine in Maltzman’s work to create splendidly colorful worlds that are recognizable even in abstract form.
3. Maltzman is among one of the most highly sought after and collected artists alive today. Celebrity collectors include Justin Bieber and JJ Redick.
Maltzman’s work has been collected by an impressive roster of celebrity collectors including Scott Painter, Steve Tisch, Bill & Hilary Clinton Art Collection, Paris Hilton, Britney Spears and Bruce Springsteen.
4. One of Maltzman’s most prolific series is “The Babe” in which he constantly reinvents. This series is meant to explore Maltzman’s very own idea of what is beautiful, and evolves constantly with each rendition.
Maltzman brings his background as a Southern Californian to his celebration of beauty in this series. The work features a sunkissed female figure who constantly evolves as Maltzman continues to reinvent his understanding of beauty.
5. Maltzman is exclusively exhibited in four galleries in the United States currently, one of which is our very own West Chelsea Contemporary.
Through May 9th of 2021 West Chelsea Contemporary is proud to present works by Daniel Maltzman on display in PROVOCATEURS.
Reach out today to inquire or acquire.
FEATURED IN WCC’S SHOW – PROVOCATEURS:
THE CONNOR BROTHERS | DALI | FAIREY | GARNER | HAMBLETON HIRST | HOLZER | HOOPER | MALZTMAN| MAZZUCCO | PETERSON | PHOEBENEWYORK | RETNA | RISK | YOUNG | RUSCHA | SHRIGLEY | CIANCIULLI | TEAGUE | THOMAS | TRUJILLO | WARHOL | WATSON | WESSELMANN| YUSKAVAGE & more.
Follow @wcc.art to learn more.